Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Scribbling Out Ideas... Why Not?

I have a million ideas I'm waiting to sew out, but when this one popped into my head, I decided to jump in and try it. With life distractions, it took 'only' 3 days to actually get it done. But that's good for me, and, more importantly, it worked!

I thought I was done with machine embroidery, because the styles of designs didn't suit my needs, and anything original took a lot of work.  My time to create is limited, and I'd rather sew than fuss. 


A terrible photo of a beautiful (and huge) machine in the midst
of a terrible mess... or maybe we'll call it a creative flurry.

But then Hubby and I happened upon the Brother Dream Machine 2 at SewExpo last March. --An event we attended knowing I would not be buying a new machine.  But a sucker fanatic for all things related to Computer Aided Design, as he sees in his shop tools, he encouraged me to watch the demonstration... and then consider buying the machine! 



He knows that I've been yearing to design my own stitch patterns for years, and have given it a good try with previous machines, which all fell short of glowing claims. (At least did so for those of us suffering from terminal impatience.)  It just might be the machine I've awaited for years that will help me bring those stitch designs in my head into reality.


"Stamp" options.  These can be resized,
stretched or narrowed, combined, or
portions erased. Besides stamps,
other options include lines, free-hand drawing,
or scanned or imported line drawings!








I scanned the fabric pieces I'd placed on hooped, sticky stabilizer.  On-screen, I placed a few circles from the machine's built-in 'stamp' files in its "Design Center," edited stitch and size, and I got the 'scribbly ' look I was hoping for.   



This is an onscreen scan of the hooped fabric,
so I can size & place the stitching correctly.


















Stitch choices.  I used 2nd from left, and
left them all the same default color.













I expected the machine to sew each circle in its entirety, one at a time, but, because I had designated them all in the same stitch style and color, it was interesting to see how the software in the machine designed its own efficient path, not recognizing or having regard for shapes in the same way I do.  I could've designated them each their own color, even if I used the same thread in the machine, if it had been important to me that it sew in separate circles.

From screen view to reality!


It's simple, but a start. My husband said, "Did you want it to look like a little kid drew it?" 

Pretty much, yes.  :-)

He doesn't quite understand my love of modern design and quilting... Yet.














Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...