Thursday, December 2, 2010

Granola Recipe (using the rolled oats)

I was never a big fan of granola.  I didn't like many of the recipes I tried...the flavors weren't right, and usually it was too sweet.  Most granola recipes had long lists of ingredients and were somewhat complicated (lots of little tasks needed).  I like easy.  This recipe is a fairly generic granola recipe, but with simplified ingredients and less sugar.  I really like it, it's not as sweet so I don't get the blood sugar crash I get with others, and it's quick to make.  -And from the way it disappears, and the requests to refill the container, I'd say my family likes it as well as I do.


Preheat oven to 300 degrees on Convection, or 325 degrees on Bake.
             
In large bowl mix: 
10 cups rolled oats 
2 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
1 cup coarsely chopped almonds (I don't always have these and it's fine without)
1 to 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut, shredded or flaked
Optional: add sunflower, sesame, and/or pumpkin seeds,  and other types of chopped nuts until you have no more than 15 cups of cereal.  If you want flax seeds, add them only after baking.
          
In small saucepan mix:
1 cup canola oil
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup real maple syrup, 1/2 cup additional honey, or 1/3 cup Blue Agave nectar 
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
Optional: 1 - 2 teaspoons of another flavoring or extract of your choice.  I add maple flavoring if I use a different sweetener in place of the maple syrup
       
Heat on medium, just until boiling, stirring occasionally.
           
While the syrup cooks, grease 2 large, shallow baking or roasting pans.
            
Mix the syrup into the cereal mixture until the liquid is evenly distributed and cereal ingredients are well-coated.  Divide the granola into the 2 baking pans, and spread evenly.
                     
Bake 10 minutes, stir, and switch racks and turn pans, if necessary.  Bake another 10 minutes.  If, at that point, the granola isn't starting to turn a light, golden brown, you can repeat the stirring and pan turning, and cook 5 more minutes.  The mixture will still look damp and the granola will not be very dark looking.  Don't over brown, or it tastes burned.
                      
Cool in the pans.  Sprinkle on and mix in a handful of raisins, dried cranberries, or a combination.  Other dried fruits may be added, as you like.  This is the time to mix in whole flax seeds.  (Ground flax should be used as soon as it's ground, so if you want to add that, add it to your bowl.)  Store in sealed container at room temperature.

2 comments:

  1. After reading your recipe, I'm embarrassed that I sent your SIL my granola recipe in that recipe-sharing e-mail. Mine is not so far different, maybe even less complex, but also more sugared up. I don't cook my syrup, just mix the wet ingredients before adding to the dry. Mine calls for baking for 1 1/2 hours on 250, so I'll have to try using alternatives for the sugar and baking at a higher temp for less time. Unfortunately, I think we are all sugar-addicted here.

    Does the agave nectar have a distinctive flavor that is obvious in baked goods such as this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem with the granola recipe...I don't think she has this one anyway.

    I don't notice any flavor with the agave nectar...just that a little goes a long way in sweetness factor.

    Maybe yours has to cook longer because of not cooking the syrup first? I admit that I have no idea...just guessing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...