Saturday, July 2, 2011

Dreams for the Weekend

I am writing this Thursday to be posted later, because I am planning a vacation for this weekend.   I want... and feel the need... to get away.  Finances don't allow that my destination be away from the actual house, but I can take a break from bills, this computer, and weddings for a bit.                                                                                                                                                                        
This weekend is already filling up... Beginning of the month bill paying,  a day of fun and pie here with our dear friends (since Prince Helium is here for a few days and they haven't yet approved...I mean, met him yet), Princess Eager is off to camp, and, of course, I need to fill the bread drawer and granola bins enough to carry us through.  I guess that restricts my vacation pretty much to Saturday, but I intend to be fierce about getting some relaxation time, and I hope Hubby joins me, as he has at least as much need.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
I have my site, my activities, and my beverage chosen.                                                                                

Site: One of my favorite places in the world, our back porch.  Heaven on earth, especially when it's nice and warm outside:                                                                                                                                                


The Wedding Girl by Madeleine Wickham
Chick Days by Jenna Woginrich
A Chicken in Every Yard by Robert & Hannah Litt
Activity: I am so looking forward to reading.  I want to peruse these new books about raising chickens, so that it doesn't seem so daunting a project.  To be honest, though, I am most looking forward to the decadence, comedy, and frivolity of a British Chick Lit novel.  Pure dessert in the world of reading... A nice vacation for the mind.  I was, perhaps, overly excited in my need for a break and a laugh, to discover that the author of the hilarious Shopaholic series, Sophie Kinsella, has written other books under her real name, Madeleine Wickham.  It was especially fun to find she has one about weddings.  (I know I said I was getting away from weddings, but I meant the work and running, not the fun and overall topic.)



Beverage: I have become less enamored with alcoholic drinks in the last few years, and will often order an "Arnold Palmer" (equal parts iced tea and lemonade) if we go out.  
 My favorite home version uses, per serving, 2 bags of Pomegranate Raspberry Green Tea or Wildberry Zinger Tea steeped in 1/2 cup hot water for 5 minutes.  After squeezing and discarding the tea bags, I combine the warm tea with 
another 3/4 cup of cold water, 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice,  Blue Agave Nectar or organic cane sugar, to taste, and a few ice cubes.




Enjoy your weekend, and Happy Independence Day!






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...