Thursday, December 14, 2017

This Ornament Flew in to Surprise Me

Ornament. 
Day 14 of My Cozy Winter Home. 

I had planned to share antique ornaments that had belonged to my grandparents, until this guy appeared on our tree. 

My maternal grandmother loved hummingbirds. After she was gone, they were my mom’s favorite, too. After my mom passed away and it was becoming evident our dad couldn’t stay in their home, my sister was helping him into the car to go visit a retirement center he and my mom had visited when planning for future needs. Both were feeling sad, and neither were comfortable with this step they were taking. But a hummingbird suddenly flew in and looped around above their heads. 

 - In the garage. 

 - And at a time of year hummingbirds weren’t seen. 

They felt this couldn’t have been just a coincidence. 

As Christians we don’t believe it was my mom in the form of a bird, or anything like that. But we do believe the Lord knows us, knows what we need, and sends comfort to us in many forms, and this was perfect for my dad and sister in that moment. A reminder that God was with us every step of the way, and that the love of, and for, my mom went with my dad, wherever he lived. 

My daughter snuck this beautiful hummingbird onto my tree this week, knowing how I’d love to see something that represented the spirit of Grandma in our Christmas. Being together at the holidays was so important to her.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...