Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Burning Love




Getting kisses, hugs, and "I love you"s from my kids as they head out the door: ................................................................ Absolutely PRICELESS 

Doing so while holding oatmeal, fresh and bubbling out of the microwave, then getting tangled up, almost dropping it, so sticking a whole hand into the very hot (and sticky) cereal instead:  ............................ NOT RECOMMENDED



Healthy finger at the top, swollen, blistered finger underneath
I can tell you that is when oatmeal more closely resembles, as a friend put it, molten lava.

After several minutes under the coldest water (probably not anything near the 20 minutes first aid courses recommend, though), and after coating it generously and repeatedly with aloe vera gel and wrapping it in cold, wet cloths, it still felt like there had to be flames coming from my hand for the next couple of hours.


As it calmed down, the only visible damage was some redness on my ring and pinkie fingers, although I was quickly reminded of the event any time I scratched my hand, ran warm water on it, or stirred something steaming on the stove.  
It won't be fun if/when the blisters open,
but I promise not to post photos of that~


The next day the pinkie was quite blistered over both knuckles.  (Aloe vera often takes all the bite and redness from a burn for me, but this was a more serious case than I usually give it.)





New rules for handling hot oatmeal... or realistic ones, just now specified:
Two hands. 
No hugging.
:-)




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...