Saturday, April 21, 2012

Some Other Weird (New) Stuff (Food)

On Monday night I'd started meat and sauce for spaghetti, then looked in the cupboard to find we had no noodles.  But we did have this forgotten little bag of pasta and seed mix I'd discovered several weeks ago when we visited Central Market to pick up bulk bags of wheat and oats.                                                                                                                                                     
I can't remember what they called the combination, and I only wrote the instructions on the twist-tie, not the name. (1 cup of the mix into 1 3/4 cups boiling water, return to boil, then simmer/cook for 18 minutes.  --For us, I used 5 cups of the mix and 8 3/4 cups water.)  


After a look on Google images, I think it may be pearl couscous --with additions that look much like assorted bird seed.  :-)

The texture is a little weird, and it didn't quite come off as regular pasta in the spaghetti sauce.  The pasta balls are a little mushy compared to the seeds, some of which are a little starchy when bitten into... Actually, I think maybe that starchy texture is due to some lentils or split peas in the mix.  I decided to spread it all into a couple of 10 x 15 pans, and topped it with mozzarella and parmesan cheese, then popped it into a 400 degree oven in an attempt to achieve what I hoped would be a "Who-Could-Resist-Anything-with-this-Golden-Yummy-Cheese-On-Top" dish.

It was somewhat successful.  Everyone ate it... 2 days in a row, in fact.  Tuesday Princess Eager, Prince CuddleBunny, and I spent the afternoon visiting my mom, and as soon as we got home, I was off to Bible study, so that 2nd pan of Monday's dinner came in quite handy.  

No one complained, and actually said they thought it tasted good, but still weren't certain enough to say they liked it.  I think I wrecked it, and served it with the wrong sauce.  I'm pretty sure this pasta-seed-legume combo would've shown itself better with something like olive oil, cherry tomatoes, other tender-crisp veggies, marinated chicken breast pieces, some great spices, and a splash of the right vinegar...  But unlike the black rice, I don't think anyone will care if I never buy this again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...