Monday, April 8, 2013

If it Ain't Broke...

There is something to be said for sticking with what you know works.  But I was hoping for something that was extra special for the expense and "hype!"

I'm talking about pizza in my new Gaggenau oven again.  (2 sad pizza baking attempts are discussed in Gagg Pizza! and in Gagg Pizza, Strike 2.)

For this past weekend's pizza, I used a method closest to what we considered "tried and true" in previous ovens (described here), but using the Gaggenau stone.  



I preheated the oven, with the stone in place at the lowest oven rack position, to 550 degrees.  I used top and bottom heat for this part.


When I put in pizzas, I switched to bottom heat only.  No fans to blow hot air and hurry the tops.

In 8 to 10 minutes, we had the results to which we'd become accustomed and that we like... Brown, bubbly tops, and crispy crust, also a bit brown.



But this method left the Gaggenau element sitting in the drawer.  After I'd preheated too long to change things, I thought that I could've preheated the oven and stone using the element and the pizza stone oven mode that runs the fan.  Then I could've switched the oven to just bottom heat when I put in the pizzas, as I did this time.  I could've turned the stone mode back on if the stone started to cool, then back to no-fan for the pizzas.  

I'll try that next time.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...