Sunday, January 16, 2011

Revamping My Schedule; My Life

I knew, as I have mentioned previously, I wanted to refresh our daily and weekly schedule, as is customary as we start back into homeschooling after summer or Christmas break.  But I realize there is more to it than that this time.  I not only want to give new life to our schedule, but with it, my priorities.  The motivation came from a combination of things.  First, in church and in my own Bible study, I've been studying and learning from the book of Luke.  I've been struck by the importance of giving up my own life to Christ, and doing things His way...in service and humility, giving my days to Him first.  
Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it.  What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self?"   Luke 9: 23 - 25
                       
I was also impacted by watching a video with the kids during Christmas break.  It'd been a few years since we've had a working VCR, but we brought one home when cleaning out the in-laws' home.  The kids were excited to paw through old video tapes, and watch old favorites, like Toy Story, Angels in the Outfield, Father of the Bride...and some of the old home movies.  It was fun, but a little heartbreaking, to watch the kids and myself of so many years ago.  In the movie we watched Princess Artiste was just a baby, so that meant Princess Inventive was 2, Princess Sassy was 4, Prince Stoic was 6 or 7, and Princess Bossy was 8.  
They were so adorable and I wanted to jump back in time and hug their little bodies,  kiss their chubby cheeks, and mostly just sit and enjoy them, absorbing every minute of the experience.  The time went SO fast!  I was sad to recognize that I wasn't fully appreciating that precious time with them, as I did things like scold one for messing with the baby too much, and put off hearing another's fanciful story while I concentrated on what I was doing.


This made me look at my life today, in which I let other young ones grow up while I'm too busy on the computer or with other 'important' tasks.  I also have realized that my time is running short for sharing my true priorities with them...That they grow up close to God and willing to recognize and follow whatever path He has for them, and that they know how to love and serve others.
Delight yourself also in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37: 4
How do they know of those goals, when all they see is my back, sitting at my desk, and when I've let our devotions and Bible reading fall by the wayside in our less structured mornings?  I had the 'desires in my heart,' but whether I have been really looking toward 'delighting myself in the Lord' as the first step is questionable. 


They read their Bibles on their own, but how long will that continue if they don't see that it's a primary focus to the start of our day as a family?  The older kids saw me sew baby blankets and clothes for babies in need, and saw me make meals for families under stress.  The younger ones haven't seen enough of that lately.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.  Luke 12: 34
I'm betting that 'treasure' could include time, attention, and effort.


The other morning, Prince CuddleBunny and I headed downstairs with the dogs scrambling around our legs, because they know it's always one of the two of us who get them breakfast.  It's his task, but the dogs can get rambunctious, so I was going to stay by his side and help him out.  My adorable 6-year-old prince said, "I can get the dog food...so you can go right to the computer if you want."  So thoughtful of him, but using his gesture to see myself through his eyes, I can do better...with God's help.  


As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field;  the wind blowsover it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more.  But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children-- with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.  Psalm 103: 15 - 18

7 comments:

  1. Your post hits home. I've been making it a priority to play with the boys more, but really showing them the values I hold and hope to pass on has been a bit lacking. I used to volunteer in a soup kitchen, but haven't done so since WD was a wee one. I talk a big game about helping others, but haven't done as much recently.

    Thanks so much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Playing with your boys more is a good start, because I've found it a good opportunity to talk...about important/serious stuff sometimes, as well as the fun. If they feel close to you and know you care about things that interest them, they'll share. I love that.
    Yep, I've been afraid here that telling without modeling isn't making enough of an impact. Yesterday we all went to our church's breakfast to sign up for work crews that will help on the new church addition...Step 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I've been guilty too many times of saying that mommy was "working" so couldn't play, have a tea party, read a story, listen to a rambling tale, etc. etc. I also used to volunteer making up sack lunches for the homeless. My eldest used to do it with me when he was little, but I never took my two youngest. Too chaotic. Now they're 5 and 6, and I'd really like for us to help others as a family. Thanks for this post. You've inspired me to take the time to actually play and listen mindfully. And to find a way in which we can all volunteer as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right on - time goes too fast. Your post brings back memories of when our son was young. He is about the same age as your oldest. Doing things to help others makes an impact although it may not seem so at the time. Some of the things that are important in his life now, I wouldn't have dreamed would be when he was growing up. By the grace of God, how we live makes a difference. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all get busy and forget about what really matters to us most. Kind of a weird idea that we do that, but the world (and fatigue) carry us away. Everything by the grace of God.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why do you always make me tear up when talking about your kids??!! You did it again. I can just imagine my sweet, cuddly little 5-year old DS saying something like that to me in his helpful way. I think, rather I KNOW, that sometimes I neglect the kids when working on this remodel. I make an effort now to work on it as little as possible while they are home and awake. It means late nights for me sometimes, but it's worth it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The problem really comes when they get older and stay up as later, or later than you! Then it gets really tough to find that quiet time when the family isn't up and busy. And it's not so easy to stay up late and keep going. The Energizer Bunny runs down after awhile!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...