Tuesday, January 25, 2011

2nd Step Toward More Healthy Eating

In Monday's post, A Step Forward in Healthy Eating, and even saving $$, I mentioned that I got connected to 2 food businesses last week, and I told you about Azure Standard.  I am excited to tell you about the other, and show you my first delivery from them!                                                                                                                                        
This second business is owned and operated by another Pacific NW family interested in healthy eating.   It's called Wildly-Organic Online Market and they deliver organic fruits and vegetables, locally grown when available, to neighborhood drop points in 3 counties.  They offer some bakery and other grocery items, as well, but I was primarily interested in adding vegetables and fruit to our diet in more quantity and variety (a Bucket List item).  Having a regular ordering and pickup system, I think, will help me accomplish this...and getting organic is even better.                                                
Wildly-Organic offers a few options in $35 packs, including a fruit and veggie combination pack, an all-veggie pack, and an all-fruit pack.  Smaller, add-on packs of fruits and vegetables are also available for $15.  There are standard offerings, but at specified shopping periods, the customer can customize their particular packs to suit the family's needs and preferences.  I can indicate certain things that I never want included in our packs, and add things, too.                                                                                                                                              
To start, I chose the all-vegetable pack, plus the fruit add-on. Then I was able to go in and pick and choose which items in the standard pack I didn't want and replace them with duplicates some of the other items, or substitute something else entirely.  I can even replace fruits with veggies, and vice-versa.  This enabled me to double up on certain things I knew we'd particularly want instead of getting smaller amounts of a larger variety that wouldn't be enough to feed all of us.  For instance, I got 2 heads of cauliflower instead of 1, plus a handful of potatoes...Neither of which would've been enough for a family meal.                                                                                                             
I had from Thursday night to Saturday night to adjust my order, and picked it up Monday afternoon at a home about a 5 to 10 minutes' drive from home.  It is packed in a bin that I'll wipe out and exchange for my next order in 2 weeks. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's fantastic! I'm a little jealous. I don't think we have anything like that here. I'll have to do some online searching for something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure we can keep it up. That picture shows $70's worth. The cauliflower heads are only the size of softballs, and the rest seems like so little for our family. But I'm not giving up yet. Maybe if I use this stuff efficiently and not let any go to waste, it will feed us just fine. I think we could use some portion size control, but not sure it should apply to veggies... I also need to go to the store and see what I could do with $70, then compare.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...