Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chore Charts

Some of you may have noticed that I've cheated...I had originally included our new chore chart in  Taming the Laundry Monster...I hope , but thought it called for more discussion, so I snatched it from that post and started anew.  I'll try to do such editing before posting from now on.  ;-)

In last Monday's post, Re-grouping, Re-charting, Re-scheduling...Re-starting! Homeschool, Winter 2011, I listed a few key organizational tasks I was planning to work on that day...Most of them are still underway.  But I'm making progress.  We did get Christmas cleaned out of the house that day.  The new scheduling, including for myself, will take much longer. My main accomplishment this past week was the new chore chart.  I thought I'd tell you a bit about my philosophy and reasoning behind making these charts.
             
Prince CuddleBunny(6) enjoyed cleaning his part of his room with Princess Eager (11).
He was so proud of making his own bed and hanging his ties.
I first made a chore chart several years ago.  First of all, I believe that children should have chores, and otherwise help out around the house.  It helps them appreciate where they live and its condition; it makes them think twice about how they treat things and what messes they create.  They learn to be capable and self-sufficient, which seem to me, some of the major goals of parenting-- I think it's a responsibility we have to them.  Besides, pitching in helps our kids feel needed and more grown up.  At great moments, they learn to see when something needs doing, and jump in without being asked. 


Prince Inventive saw me working & decided to help.
Much more fun...and much less work.
With homeschooling, caring for a home full of young children, and likely, one on the way at the time, I sure couldn't do everything on my own, and needed a way to keep track of whom should be doing what on a day-to-day basis.  I needed to make sure that certain areas of the house and crucial tasks were being covered regularly.  I never tried to be unrealistic in thinking the kids would do every assignment to perfection, but figured if each cleaning chore got done every other time it was assigned, it was better than not at all.   
Of course, with a little reminding and encouragement, their record of accomplishment has been much better than that.   


     For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat."  
     We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive.  They are not busy; they are busybodies.  Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the food they eat.                2 Thessalonians 3: 10 - 13 




    Start children off on the way they should go, 
and even when they are old they will not turn from it.                     Proverbs 22: 6


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...