Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day in the Garden

I had big plans for gardening this year.  It hinged on getting the greenhouse fixed up and moved.  With Hubby so busy with the in-laws' remodel (that was supposed to be completed by March 1st), those things never happened.  I couldn't give up the idea of a garden completely, so when the May/June Azure Standard catalog included plant starts, I jumped at the chance to take advantage of someone else's hard work and pre-planning.  Last week with my food order, I received a 50# bag of organic fertilizer and 4 boxes of various veggies and other plants.                                                                                                                                                                                        
Today I caught up with the weeds that had invaded since my last garden work, then set to spreading the fertilizer.  Hubby and I calculated that we'd need 2 pounds for each garden box, so my Escali kitchen scale was brought out to help.  Then I distributed the pellets and Hubby kindly worked them in.                                                                                                                                                           
I retrieved the garden plan I'd worked out with Mother Earth News' Garden Planner.  It wasn't a huge help, since the planting I'd planned and the plants I'd ordered, didn't quite match.  I resorted to replanting the starts according to room and whim, more than by using that reference.  I have so many squash, tomatoes, and peppers, which are not supposed to go back in the same areas as last year, but not enough areas that I can avoid the previously used spots... especially to get the good sun they need.                                                           
The result was Insta-Garden!  And I had a feeling of accomplishment.                                                                                                                  
I figure some garden produce is better than nothing, and hope the plants thrive and are fruitful, in spite of my haphazard gardening practices... and whatever the summer weather has in store.






Previous related posts:
Gardening?
But it's so coooold out....
I always seem to forget...


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...