Friday, April 8, 2011

Baking Experiment - Different Flours in same Banana Bread

Now that I have a new and wonderfully clean bag of soft white wheat berries, it's time to experiment with soft wheat flour again.   It gave me a great reason to stop sitting at the desk, awaiting phone calls and emails that weren't coming in anyway.                                                                                                                                   
We had several very ripe bananas, so decided to start with banana bread.                                                    
I made 3 batches using identical ingredients, except for the type of flour.                                                    
I heated the oven and gathered my tools and ingredients...                                                                                   
The Motivators
3 flours, from left:  All-purpose (unbleached),
Hard white wheat (what I use for yeast bread), and Soft white wheat (pastry)


3 identical, ugly, old pans.
Sprayed with
Pam, of course




3 equally weighted amounts of mashed banana.
I thought just going by number of bananas per batch
could be too variable and affect results


I used a fairly simple Banana Bread recipe from America's Test Kitchen's Family Baking Book.  The batters were very similar.  If anything, the batch using all-purpose flour seemed the least fluid, which is opposite of what I would have guessed.                                                                                                    
I marked each, so I'd know which was which.
Again, left to right, all-purpose, hard white, & soft white

So far, so good... The whole wheat loaves are flatter,
but maybe the toothpicks on top weren't a good idea?
Stay tuned for the taste and texture results... I suspect I won't have any trouble finding critics glad to taste and share their opinions.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...