Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Christmas in a Pot...in April

The evening I was busy running my wheat flour test, as documented in Baking Experiment - Different Flours in same Banana Bread, I was a bit lazy about making dinner.  I got out a package of Lobster Ravioli that had called to me from the Costco refrigerated case.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
You can see from the photo, that it wouldn't call quietly!  7-year-old Prince CuddleBunny was there to help me succumb to temptation, as he was eager to try such a pretty dinner, too, and he'd heard lobster was supposed to be good.  Seeing it cooking, Prince Go-for-it (13) was quite intrigued and said it 'looked like Christmas in a pot.'                                                                                            


The package gave directions for a recommended sauce, which I used as a guide.  Their recipe did a lot of reduction, and added way more butter, neither of which I felt was necessary or desirable for my crew.                                                                                                                                           
Citrus - White Wine Sauce for Seafood Pasta
I started with 
2 cups of Chardonnay
6 Tablespoons lemon juice
generous sprinkling of garlic powder                                                                                                                 
After bringing to a boil for a few minutes, I stirred in 
1 cup of cream                                                
I again brought it to a good boil, and whisked in 
2 cubes of butter, which had been cut into cubes                                                                                        
I used a cold water-corn starch paste to thicken it to our desired consistency, and added some ground black pepper, to taste.  (I didn't add salt, because I'd used salted butter.)                                                                                                                        
I layered the ravioli over a bed of steamed spinach, spooned on the sauce, and sprinkled grated Parmesan Cheese over all.                                                                                                                                                
It was a big hit.  I really do have to try making some ravioli of my own now.  That old Bucket List  is taunting me!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...