Friday, April 1, 2011

Cheez-It Chicken Follow Up

Last week in Baked (Cheez It) Chicken, when I attempted my own version of Laxsupermom's Oven-Baked Crispy Fried Chicken from her blog, Sugar & Spice in the Land of Balls & Sticks, I said that I wanted to try it again with some adjustments.  Last night was the time, and I thought I should report back.                                                                                                                                                                               
This time, I started with boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs.  Not as economical at the grocery check-out, but healthier...so maybe more of a value in the long-run.                                                                                                                                      
For dipping, I still used equal amounts of Ranch dressing and plain yogurt, plus enough milk to bring the mixture back to salad dressing consistency.  Because the yogurt diluted the flavor of the dressing, I added a teaspoon of vinegar, a teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce, and generous sprinkling of garlic powder and black pepper.                               
For the crispy coating, I again mixed Multigrain Wasa crackers in a 1 to 2 with CheezIts, but used only Hot and Spicy CheezIts this time.                                                                                                                          
I cooked it the same way... In a preheated 375 degree oven, until the internal temp was 165 - 170.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
The result was much better... More flavorful and less fatty than the original trial.  The family liked with reservations last time, but this time, just loved it.                                                                                                
Laxsupermom served hers with roasted cauliflower.  We really like cauliflower, but had never had it roasted, and that intrigued me.  I happened to pass by the cauliflower case yesterday when shopping for other groceries, so grabbed it up to try with the planned chicken dinner. 

I didn't find instructions for her roasted cauliflower, so adapted a recipe I found on Cooking.com.  My 2 younger princesses pared 2 heads of cauliflower and broke them into florets.  I mixed approximately 1/4 cup olive oil and 2 Tablespoons lemon juice into those, and sprinkled on garlic powder.  I spread them in a greased roasting pan, and placed them in the oven preheated to 500 degrees for 15 minutes.  They came out still white on top and carmelized on the bottom.  I immediately sprinkled on some shredded Parmesan cheese, so it melted on before serving.   Two thumbs up.  :-)
                                                                                  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...