Sunday, April 3, 2011

"Grainwashed"


Friday, the kids accompanied me to the grocery store, where they had a big display of bagged cereals on sale.  They were not the name brands, but had one resembling one of the kids' junk food favorites, Cap'n Crunch with Crunch Berries.  The kids with me were the 3 having birthdays this week (2 on Monday and 1 on Tuesday), so I let them talk me into the sweet cereal for their special birthday breakfasts. Knowing we were out of granola, I also picked up a bag of puffed grain cereal, similar to Post's Golden Crisp, a weakness of mine.                                                                                                                                                                 
Yesterday, three princesses and I made an afternoon of it with a trip to Central Market, where, among other goodies, we picked up 50 pounds each of Prairie Gold hard white wheat and organic oat groats, and a 25 pound bag of new (and clean) soft white wheat.                                                                                              
Today, Hubby was helping me wrestle and empty the bags of grain into my pantry bins.  As we worked, he mentioned that he'd been a little hungry before bed last night and reached for the granola.  Finding none, he helped himself to the sweetened puffed wheat cereal.  But he said he just wasn't at all comfortable eating it.  He said, "I just knew it was unhealthy for me...So you've done a good job."                                                                                                      
I laughed and asked if he meant I'd done a good job at making him eat healthily-- which is not necessarily supported by the evidence I see most days-- or if he just felt I'd only accomplished a certain amount of brainwashing.                                                                                                                                                                                           
His answer was, "You've just done a good job educating me... I'm 'grainwashed!'"                                                                                                                                                   


Previous related posts:
Granola Recipe (using the rolled oats)
First Use of Soft White Wheat
- Room for Improvement




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...