Friday, September 2, 2011

Tradesies

Hubby took some of my my hamburger buns to our friend who made my bread bowls.  Then the friend called and told me he needed me to come pick some of his rapidly ripening garden.  -- Oh, OK......









Since mine is mostly full of underdeveloped, very green tomatoes, 
deer-eaten bean plants, cucumber plants that never produced, and a bunch of purple potato plants, I was ever-so-happy to oblige.










We came home with rhubarb, figs, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, jalapenos, and basil! 




He wants me to help myself whenever I think of it, including the future harvest of corn, apples, and quince.  The corn may be 'iffy' if the bear frequenting our friend's neighborhood and property beats me to it.  


Both the figs and quince are new to me, so I will have fun investigating and experimenting.  







I thought maybe the kids would gobble the figs whole and fresh, leaving none for any experimentation.  But Prince Go-for-it actually said they were "too sweet."  (What kid says that about a fruit?!)  So I'm open to suggestions.  I can say that when I had one with about 4 ounces of plain yogurt this morning, I didn't use or miss sweetener.








Princess Sassy and Prince CuddleBunny picked a huge bowlful of blackberries while we were at the friend's garden.  They have requested Blackberry-Rhubarb Pie, so that's first on my list.  Princess Sassy also said I now owe our friend much more bread!  She says he gets two loaves, just for the figs.  :-)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...