Saturday, November 5, 2011

Chicken Strips and Dipping Sauces

I tried for a clever title... Maybe something about Saucy Stripping, but thought that might draw the wrong audience...


The plain truth of it is I discovered skinless chicken "tenderloins" at Costco.  There was no more explanation and I couldn't tell whether it was light or dark meat.  I asked Princess Sassy if she could make a guess, and she didn't know either.  If it's somehow common knowledge to the rest of the world, here's your chance (today) to laugh at me.  It was priced, per pound, like the dark meat instead of like the breasts, so I figured it was something dark and could tell it was boneless.  Feeling the intrigue of the 'mystery package', I bought it.
from Win, Win...and Win


I decided to prepare whatever-it-was in the same coating recipe I used for the chicken I showed in Win, Win...and Win last week, so I prepped the marinade and coating, then opened the chicken.  It was little strips, and I still couldn't identify the meat shade, so also thawed and halved a couple of chicken breasts for Hubby, the dark meat un-enthusiast.  That was unnecessary, as the "tenderloin" pieces turned out to be white meat, also.


Seeing the finished, breaded strips, and trying to find a way to complete and enliven the meal, I decided to make dipping sauce.  --Then I decided to make 2, because options always make life (and dinner) more interesting.


Back Story:  A few years ago, to liven up another quick meal, I grabbed a jar of chipotle sauce I found in the mayo aisle of the grocery store.  The family loved it.  It seemed to be mostly mayonnaise, with some chipotle and adobo sauce mixed in.  Noting that a pint jar was approximately 3 times the price of a jar of mayonnaise, I decided to try making our own.  


Chipotle covered in sauce,
 individually frozen
Pre-Prep:  One 8 oz can of chipotles in adobo sauce can do several batches, since it takes only 2 or 3 chilies to make a whole 32 oz jar of mayo into sauce... and that'd be a LOT of sauce.  To efficiently use the chilies, I spread them in a single layer (with space in between) on waxed paper on a cookie sheet.  I divide the sauce over each one.  Then I freeze them, bag them, and keep them in the freezer, so I can grab 1 or 2 at a time.



Chipotle Dipping Sauce


In a small food processor, blend
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup plain yogurt (I use Greek yogurt for a thicker result)
1 - 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce


It's that easy.  Serve with chicken pieces, or as salad dressing or sandwich spread.                                                                                                                                                


Asian-Inspired Dipping Sauce


In a small food processor, blend
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup plain yogurt (recommend Greek yogurt)
*1 Tablespoon mustard powder
*1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil (regular or spicy)
*1 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
*1/2 teaspoon ginger
*1 Tablespoon soy sauce
*1/4 teaspoon garlic powder


Adjust *starred ingredients to taste... The measurements given are approximations.
This also works as salad dressing.  I cut up the chicken strips, put them on my green salad, and put a little sauce over all.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...