Thursday, December 29, 2011

Gifting through the Years

Hubby, raised with only brothers, was not big on gift-giving when we got married.  Apparently, the brothers never gave gifts to each other, and rarely to their parents.  Conversely, I LOVE gift-giving and even though they were usually handmade and/or quite inexpensive, we always gave gifts to each member of my family, showing our love and working to choose 'just the right thing' to thrill each recipient.  Hubby did not know the joy of giving gifts, and I've tried to teach him...


This year he tried a sweater and earrings again
The first few years, because he had no idea of how this concept worked, we'd go "Pointing."  He and I would wander the mall, and I'd point out earrings and sweaters I liked, then go to the car while he chose which earrings and which sweater he wanted to give me.  


Even though the lack of surprise was a bit disappointing, he knew the gift would be something I'd like and it worked.  I'm not sure why that practice stopped... Maybe when the kids came along we didn't have the get-away time to 'point.'  Plus, I was always hoping that through the years, he'd learn who I was and learn to take cues from things I said that would take over heading him in the right direction... That's still a work in progress.  


He would often buy me cassette tapes, and then CDs... But they were always ones he wanted, and which would quickly disappear into his truck or office!


Several years ago, and for a few years in a row, for some reason he got stuck on buying me cutting boards. All the same size and shape, but different colors.  I also received an additional, although dented, 13-quart stainless steel mixing bowl, because "It was only 99 cents in the Walmart clearance rack!" 


The kids were disgusted.  They also had tried to teach him the art/skill of gifting, through the nuances of what I liked and what I said, and the training obviously wasn't taking hold.  ;-)  


It eventually became kind of a joke, and he now always gets me some kind of kitchen item that prompts scolding from the kids, like this year's instruction by Princess Sassy, "Dad... From now on, show me the gifts you buy Mom, and I'll tell you whether to wrap it or just put it in the kitchen."  She thought the bag clips and garlic press I showed you yesterday were of the straight-to-the-kitchen variety.


A differently funny thing happened to us for this Christmas...
I've mentioned a few times that we don't have cable, and use antennas to watch local TV stations.  Both of our antennas were not great to begin with, and in addition, were missing one of the 'ears.'  The downstairs TV was extremely irritating to try to watch, since with digital transmission, it was either on or off, so shows would go in and out at crucial moments, unlike the fuzzy, but watchable views we used to get with imperfect analog.  I finally was fed up and headed to Amazon to search for antennas with great reviews, and discovered the MOHU's USA-made, Paper Thin Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna.  It had 489 highly favorable reviews, a reasonable price tag, the very intriguing low profile, and with no need to adjust it, it had lots of pluses.


The is the MOHU Antenna in our bedroom.  It doesn't
have to be quite that high.  It's white on the other side,
for a different option.  We can put things on the shelf
in front of it, or even put it down behind the TV without
affecting the performance.


I got one for the downstairs TV and it is amazing... Does a great job and gets us more stations than we could watch before.  So for Christmas (yes, back on topic), I ordered one for our bedroom TV and wrapped it for Hubby.  Meanwhile, he knew how fed up we were with the remote that no longer operated that TV's volume, and sometimes was unresponsive on other buttons, so he got a GE universal remote control... and wrapped it up for me!  I guess we were on the same track.   :-D



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...