Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Not-so-secret Problem: A Bowl Addiction

One of my cyber friends said I should not refer to this as an addiction, but instead refer to myself as a "Vesselarian."  That, in fact, might be more accurate, because I also love pitchers, canisters, and other interesting and artful containers...but today we'll concentrate on bowls.                                                                                                                                                                                             
Tupperware Modular Mates Rectangle/rectangular #4 Blue SealI am not talking about all bowls, as I am also a bowl snob.  I really can't get into plastic bowls...Not the Melamine kind, nor the soft, smarmy silicone ones that lack structural integrity.  I never liked Tupperware bowls much either, even though I admire some of their storage solutions, like my beloved Tupperware Modular Mates Rectangular #4 Containers that hold up to 37 cups of baking staples like flour and sugar, and fit so perfectly in my upper cabinets.  
But, I've digressed...                                                                                                                                                                                                           
13 Quart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl (13-0811) Category: Mixing BowlsI'm also not passionate about stainless bowls, for the most part, but do love the usefulness of my four giant (13-quart) ones for mixing up grand batches of granola, and mixing and serving large salads or pasta dishes.                                                                                                      
It is glass and, especially, ceramic bowls that have me hooked.  Larger ones and certain graceful shapes increase my interest.  (I first said they 'raise my lust level to its peak,' but although it was more descriptive, seemed slightly suggestive in a way I didn't want to go!)  Mason Cash mixing bowls seductively call my name. (There we go again...)                                                                                                               
Budget limits my collection of such things, but here are a few of my favorites:                                                                                                                                                      
A feature corner in my kitchen...Fresh fruit & handmade bowls, an unbeatable combo!
The largest (about 7 qts) doubles as my bread bowl



A housewarming present from our ceramics instructor friend.
A gorgeous color,  besides such a thoughtful and wonderful gift.

A cool one found in my in-laws' house.
We think it originally belonged to Hubby's grandmother.
The more commercial entries in my collection.
I like these for their shapes and colors.
They look great in my hutch and are useful sizes, too.
A sentimental favorite.  This was part of the set in which my
grandmother always used to give us ice cream at every visit.
I had wanted to display it in some special manner.
But it sits simply and quietly on my windowsill,
as a reminder of love & hospitality...
and it's as if Grandma holds my rings for me while I bake

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...