Thursday, March 17, 2011

Throwback Thursday : Wall quilts

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!


Over at Sugar & Spice in the Land of Balls & Sticks, Laxsupermom suggested some of us bloggers periodically link together and show projects we'd done in the past for "Throwback Thursdays." I'm game, so here's my first entry:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
The Undercover Creations brochure photo
In the early 90s I began my own business sewing custom baby quilts, crib bedding, and terry-backed bibs, called "Undercover Creations."  For extra fun for my artsy side, I offered original quilted/pieced wall art.  I can't say I made my fortune off of any of it, but I loved designing, then combining fabric prints and colors into fun combinations.  
                                                                                                                         





I sold many more baby quilts than wall art, and have most of my original samples hanging about my house. I tend to not even notice them any more.  When I looked at the photos I took while Prince CuddleBunny and I were out playing in the snow, though, some of which were shown in An Invitation I Couldn't Refuse..and I'm glad I didn't, I noticed that the quilt over my computer desk could be seen from our yard and driveway.  It added a warmth and clue to the character of our home that I really loved seeing.                                                                                                                                                  
I called this one "Evening Flight" and was an interpretation of moths and perhaps a colorful butterfly taking flight over a garden at dusk.  The colors are slightly reminiscent of the darker, more subdued colors used in certain Amish quilts I was studying at the time, but the piecing is much simpler...Better suiting my impatient nature and limited quilting skills.                                                                                              
Anyone who can sew a straight line, can do the kind of quilting I do.  Stay tuned, and in future posts I will share specific tips on cutting, pressing, and piecing that ensure a great looking quilt.                                                                                                                                   






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...