Sunday, March 20, 2011

Routine Sustenance

I would've said that I am a person who hates routine.  I like to change things up a bit...Don't like the same meal over and over, don't like to sew the same sewing project more than once.  Lately I realized that either I was completely deluding myself, or I've changed.  Or maybe I've always needed a bit of routine balancing my impatience with other repetitive tasks.                                                                                                                                                                    
Whatever it is, I've noticed a few things that sustain me on a daily basis.  These things contribute to a mixture of physical, emotional, spiritual, and mental well-being.                                                                                                                                   
Yogurt.  Hubby brings me yogurt everyday for breakfast.  Not just any yogurt, but usually a half and half mixture of plain and honey Greek yogurt.  It starts my day with a dose of protein to lift and maintain my blood sugar...and it's easy to get down when morning isn't my favorite eating time.  I also grab a spoonful or two other times of day if my blood sugar feels low, or at night before bed if I feel hungry.                                                                                                                                                                                                              
Mrs. May's Cranberry Trio Bar, 1.2 Ounce Bars (Pack of 24)
Trio Bars
Nut, Seeds, & Dried Fruit
Cranberry is my favorite.
Trio Bars.  A couple hours after the yogurt, I need a healthy snack to see me through the rest of the morning, and these nutty, seedy, not-to-sweet bars do the trick.   I also keep one of these in the car or my purse in case I'm away from home for too long between meals.  I've been thinking of trying to make some...sort of like granola, but in bars.                                                                                                                                                         
Soy-coffee drink.  I described this treat in My Morning Oasis last month.  It gives me another dose of protein, the isoflavones/phytoestrogens good for us 'women of a certain age,' with a bit of flavor and warmth.  There's just a little coffee, so not a caffeine jolt of any kind, but it is enough to help a headache if I have one.  It's a chance to sit down and enjoy a moment with an indulgence with dietary upsides, not a detriment like many 'treats.'                                                        
Praise Music.  Hubby awakens to a softly playing Christian Praise CD, which, if I have to have my sleep disturbed at 4:45 AM, is much preferable to an alarm or radio host banter.  Later, when I wake up for real, I turn it back on while I convince my eyes to open and establish my outlook on the day.  I turn on my favorite Christian music station via the internet (Praise 106.5 FM) as I read emails, check on the blog, or do household chores.                                                                                                                                    
by Florence Atwater (Author) Mr. Popper's Penguins (Paperback)
A recent favorite book
Mr Popper's Penguins
Reading to/tucking in Prince CuddleBunny.  The youngest prince still likes me beside him as he falls asleep.  But before that happens, I tuck my legs into the blankets beside him and read a chapter from whatever book we have underway. Then we say prayers together.  It's a great time to sit still and wind down for my own bedtime.                                                                                                               
Scrabble on Nintendo DS.  After reading and prayers, so that I stay relaxed and quiet as Prince CuddleBunny falls asleep with "Red," the bear in one arm and holding onto me with the other, I open the Nintendo DS the kids gave me as a gift a couple years ago.  I can play in the dark, so the prince isn't disturbed.  I think the Scrabble helps exercise my mind, while keeping it from stewing about any plans or problems that might keep me from falling in bed soon after the prince 
Scrabble
Nintendo Scrabble
is 'out.'   I also have the Nintendo Brain Age game, but, even though fun and good for the brain, it's more intense and doesn't have the relaxing effect, because everything is timed.                                                                                                                                                                                          
If any one of these things is missing, the day just isn't quite right...Or at least not quite as good as it might have been.   It's a blessed life.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...