White Chicken Chili
Add enough olive oil to a heavy soup pot to coat bottom and brown
- 4 chicken breasts
Add and sauté until translucent around chicken
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, diced (or a handful of mini sweet peppers)
- 1 (10 oz) can mushroom soup
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk (regular milk would probably be fine)
- 16 oz chicken stock
- 1/3 c mayonnaise
- 1 (7 oz) can diced green chilies, mild
- 2 c frozen or (drained) canned corn
- 2 (15 oz) cans kidney or black beans, drained
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Cumin, dried parsley, cilantro, as desired, and to taste
Heat through just to bubbling. Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces, removing temporarily from the pot, if necessary. If desired, thicken the chili by mixing 2 Tbsp corn starch with 1/4 cup water and stir in, and bring back to bubbling.
Serve with your choice of toppings and accompaniments. Our favorites are chopped avocado, diced tomato, sour cream, and multigrain tortilla chips... None of which I had on hand the day I took these photos!
The night I made the chili you see in these pics is the night the power went out. I almost didn't, but decided to make a double batch, so I could freeze it in portions for quick heat-up for the family, and to take to my dad. That night, I only had time to get it into large containers in the fridge. So... it never had a chance to get thoroughly cold, and it was part of the food I had to throw out yesterday! :'-( At least I had put a little on ice, and Dad got some of it for Sunday dinner.
Awesome dancing emoticon from DesiSmileys