Tuesday, October 28, 2014

For Chili Days

My family is pretty open to trying most foods, and often gives positive reviews.  My dad, on the other hand, has a less adventurous foodie spirit, and has quite a few things on his 'doesn't eat' list.  His compliments are fewer and farther between. It is amazing and fun when I hit upon a meal they all really love.  In fact, my dad said that I 'outdid myself' with the meal on a certain Sunday... That this dish was 'outstanding,' and the dessert I fed him with it that was even better.  (I'll share that one later.)  ---


DesiSmileys.com
SCORE!!




White Chicken Chili


 

Add enough olive oil to a heavy soup pot to coat bottom and brown


  • 4 chicken breasts


Add and sauté until translucent around chicken


  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 red or orange bell pepper, diced (or a handful of mini sweet peppers)


Pour in


  • 1 (10 oz) can mushroom soup
  • 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk (regular milk would probably be fine)
  • 16 oz chicken stock


Stir in

  • 1/3 c mayonnaise
  • 1 (7 oz) can diced green chilies, mild
  • 2 c frozen or (drained) canned corn
  • 2 (15 oz) cans kidney or black beans, drained
  • 1 - 2 Tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • Cumin, dried parsley, cilantro, as desired, and to taste



Heat through just to bubbling.  Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces, removing temporarily from the pot, if necessary.  If desired, thicken the chili by mixing 2 Tbsp corn starch with 1/4 cup water and stir in, and bring back to bubbling.



Serve with your choice of toppings and accompaniments.  Our favorites are chopped avocado, diced tomato, sour cream, and multigrain tortilla chips... None of which I had on hand the day I took these photos!



The night I made the chili you see in these pics is the night the power went out.  I almost didn't, but decided to make a double batch, so I could freeze it in portions for quick heat-up for the family, and to take to my dad.  That night, I only had time to get it into large containers in the fridge. So... it never had a chance to get thoroughly cold, and it was part of the food I had to throw out yesterday!  :'-(  At least I had put a little on ice, and Dad got some of it for Sunday dinner.



Write31days.com


Awesome dancing emoticon from DesiSmileys


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...