Monday, August 15, 2011

Hummus bath?

About 9 cups of Hummus in my
11-cup Cuisinart Food Processor
Just kidding...And also exaggerating.  I just happened to make a new hummus recipe last night, and it made a LOT...but not quite enough for bathing.


The original recipe made quite a generous quantity, anyway, but it had too much heat, even for those of us who love spicy foods, so I added additional amounts of the 'cooler' ingredients, making approximately 50% more of the dip.  Still pretty hot, so I am adjusting next time, and the recipe below reflects that.


First, I have to credit Katie at Domestiphobia for highlighting this recipe in 
Domestiphobia.net
…And then You Let the Flavors do a Happy Dance on your Tongue.  We have eaten a lot of hummus this summer, in between wedding tasks or while on the run.  It, with veggies or whole grain crackers or chips, seemed an easy-to-eat and yummy meal-snack, offering protein and fiber, not just sugar and fat, like a lot of other snack or fast foods.  Now that things have simmered down around the house, and I remembered to buy canned garbanzo beans, I was set on making my own, instead of spending $4 for 8 oz.  (I've had dry garbanzos for quite awhile, but when I want hummus NOW, dried ones only taunt me.)                                                                                                 

Perusing the original recipe, I saw that there were still a couple things I didn't have: a jar of roasted red peppers, and 6 sun-dried tomatoes.  To replace the tomatoes, I used tomato paste and an additional tablespoon of olive oil, and for the red pepper, I decided to roast my own.  
After it was blackened all around, I placed it in a ZipLoc bag
to steam, so after a bit of cooling, the peel was easy to remove.




I had only a yellow one, so that was good enough for me.  My daughter came in while I had the pepper over the flame of our gas rangetop, and accused me of thinking I was on Master Chef, a favorite TV show.  
The pepper, after peeling and seeding


But, truthfully, I saw Rachael Ray roast a pepper this way on her TV show years ago, and kept it in memory for future use.




So this is my version of 
Spicy Hummus
adapted from the original recipe, Smoky Chipotle Hummus,  on AllRecipes.com

Place all of the following in the work bowl of a large food processor:
2 15-oz cans garbanzo beans, drained
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 yellow, red, or orange bell pepper, roasted, peeled, and seeded
4 oz tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
plus
1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (Note:  Freeze additional peppers in sauce, laid separately, so they're not a whole block, for future use)
- OR -
1 teaspoon cumin (the recipe calls for both chipotle and cumin, but we decided we're doing one or the other)


Pulse, then blend until smooth.  


Move some to a bowl to serve with your choice of pita chips, whole grain crackers, whole grain chips, rice crackers, and/or raw vegetables.  Make ahead or store leftovers refrigerated in covered bowl.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...