Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Butter Up

Remember that ungainly, gallon-sized ZipLoc bag of applesauce?  --The storage option I thought was a bad idea, because I didn't think we'd ever use a gallon of applesauce at once?  Well, problem solved.  For this, the gallon bag was even a good idea, since it stored just the right amount.

My mill-loaning friend, Ch, gave me this recipe as a suggestion for 'using up' some applesauce.  I had never made apple butter.  You can probably imagine that as an applesauce disliker ("hater" is too strong for how I feel about it), that apple butter might not be my favorite either.  In fruit spreads, like other things, I prefer something to chew/crunch.  But I have a houseful of family who isn't as picky, and who would enjoy a new option for toast and sandwiches.


Ch's Apple Butter
4 quarts unsweetened applesauce 
2 C sugar 
4 C brown sugar 
2 tsp cinnamon 
1 tsp ground cloves 
1/2 tsp allspice 
3/4 tsp salt 


Mix it all up and bake @ 250' for 4 hours, stir periodically.  Add 4 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar (really!) and stir well.  You can process this in a water bath in pint jars or it also freezes well. In theory this makes about 7 pints.  


Good theory, I guess!
  






My friend added this note when she sent me the recipe:
"We like it on toast and pancakes.  Of course peanut butter sandwiches.  We love it on a toasted bagel, lathered with cream cheese and topped with toasted almonds.  Yum!"

Now you're talkin'... With cream cheese and almonds, I'll definitely be eating this, too. 


"There is nothing sweeter than the apple butter days of autumn." - Linda Poindexter







"Yum," for sure!


























31 Days at The Nesting Place




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...