Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Tools

With big pots of applesauce, and many more to follow, it was time to get out my chinois sets.  


Truthfully, until a couple of years ago, when a friend on the Gardenweb Kitchen Forum saw one of them in a photo and referred to it in that term, I called it the "applesauce making thing with the other thing sort of like a bat."  According to Amazon, it's a Canning Accessories Food Press with Wooden Pestle.  

Anyway, it's what my mom always used.  I either picked up one like hers years ago, or she gave me one, and I also found one when we were cleaning out my in-laws' basement.  I think it may have belonged to Hubby's grandmother.  So I have 2.


 Multi-purpose Wall-E Sheet
My Bible study friend was here for dinner when we had the 9 bags of apples hiding under a "Wall-E" sheet, in order to keep them safe from fruit flies.  (Fruit flies find previously benign openings into the fruit, then expand the injury and make it easier for the apple to rot.  And we all know, "One bad apple can spoil the whole barrel," so best to shield them from the little buggers.)



She knew I had a big job ahead of me, and offered her "really large food mill."  At first I declined, thinking my chinois sets could handle it.  But by the time I'd started on the first batch, I wondered if I was passing up the opportunity to use something better (AKA "faster"), and called to accept her offer.



After a false start for Prince CuddleBunny, who had initially attached the wire thingy on the bottom of the mill upside down, but didn't have an excitingly successful outing even after it was fixed, I thought it was time to put them through a side-by-side test.


Wire-thingy upside-down
Wire-thingy installed as intended












Since I'm trying to keep my posts short and sweet, and covering 31 days... I'll keep you, presumably, on the edge of your seats until tomorrow to see how the tools fared in ''RHome410's Test Kitchen.'' 




31 Days at The Nesting Place







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...