Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Crusty Bits



After making apple pie the other day, I, of course, had leftover crust dough, trimmed from the edges.


Sometimes, we just bake it cut into little, flat squares (about the size and shape of Wheat Thin crackers) and eat those with jam... raspberry, if we have it.  I think that's my favorite.

When I feel a little more ambitious, I make these tiny pinwheels. The emphasis on "little," rather than "ambitious," because these really are quite quick and easy.


The leftover pieces of dough are rolled together, the thickness of pie crust, into a rectangle.  The extra crust I had this time made a rectangle approximately 5 x 7 inches.

I sprinkle the dough with sugar and cinnamon, then with one of the longer sides toward the front, roll it up so there is a log about an inch or inch and a quarter thick. The log is then sliced crosswise, into 3/8 inch thick rounds, like cinnamon rolls.

You may be able to tell from the photos that I don't spend a lot of time making them pretty.  They go so fast, no one looks at them too long.  ;-)

I usually bake them at 425 degrees, during the first 10 minutes of baking the pie, just until barely browning.


Prince CuddleBunny was thrilled to find the tiny pastries on the counter when he got up.  They're his favorite use of pie crust... He thinks I should make a whole batch of crust just for these.

Do you have anything delicious you like to make of pie crust dough scraps?

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan


31 Days at The Nesting Place







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...