Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Just Curious

Saving money and calories can help us feel better, right?


After I shared Prince CuddleBunny's treat recipe with you yesterday, I thought about a moment a few days ago when Princess Eager suggested we pick up a drink from a local coffee shop, but I preferred to go home to the Prince's brew.  I started to wonder how much that cup of deliciousness cost... or, actually saved, both in money and calories.

Per 16 oz serving, here are the ingredients in our homemade treat:


1/8 c. (0.4 oz) coffee beans, making 1/4 c. espresso
2 Tbsp pumpkin spice creamer
8 oz vanilla soy milk
2 Tbsp whipping cream
1/2 Tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
cinnamon
nutmeg

These total 290-320 calories... with variation figured in for the inexact measurement on whip cream.

The cost is roughly $1.50, trying to be generous for the powdered sugar, vanilla, and spices, since their amounts and cost are more difficult to estimate accurately, but they'd be small.  Also, there would be tiny costs for the water for the espresso, and gas to heat the stove.


According to Starbucks, their 16 oz/Grande, (Soy) Pumpkin Spice Latte with whip cream has 370 calories.  Our drink isn't as sweet, so I think that's where the difference lies.

At approximately $4.50, though, it's cost is 3 times that of the beverage I can enjoy at home.  Plus, I'd miss that (priceless) grin of pride on my prince's face.  ;-)



31 Days at The Nesting Place




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...